Sunday, April 20, 2014

Getting older

One of the delights of getting older is laughing at the younger generation.

I remember my Grandmother saying " you think that is new ? "
There is a saying, every thing that's old is new again.

One of my favorite shows on TV is Andrew Zimmerman's food network show. He goes all over the world eating all kinds of things.

There was a department store in Salt Lake City, ZCMI, that had a food court in the 1950's. They had a bakery, a diner, a specialty grocery store and a candy counter in the basement. This was in the middle of town in one of the best stores. On the top floor you could buy New York Fashions, one off's for my Lady, and furs.

My Father and I would buy canned pacific salmon, whole oranges pickled in jars and chocolate covered ants. The herring in sour cream and sardines were special and the Kadoka Figs were out of this world.

My Mother was a good cook. When she cooked chicken we all wanted some of the liver on saltine crackers. The heart and gizzard were treats too. She prepared calf liver with bacon and onions and we all loved it.

I have done a lot of Deer hunting. When you kill a Deer you have fresh heart and liver for camp supper. I have had hunters tell me " that's ok, I'll have a sandwich ". When I get the dutch oven going with the onions, bacon, spices, liver and heart all of a sudden maybe " I'll just try one piece " then you have them.

Now I read in a magazine, The Week, that a new restaurant in LA, B.O.S. thinks offal - OFFAL- is new and trendy. If you look that word up in a dictionary it is The Parts of a butchered animal that are considered inedible by human beings. rubbish; garbage; carrion. They are serving tripe and calling it squid. They think heart has a beefy flavor, really? could that be because it comes from a beef .....
I wonder what their prices are like ?

I have a wonderful recipe for liver and onions. I will dig it out and share it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!