Saturday, April 19, 2014

The wonderful People in My Life

I am a most fortunate person. I have wonderful people in my life.

Let me introduce you to my gardener.  Notice I said gardener not landscaper ! When my husband got sick
I got busy. His care, Dr.'s, lots of unforeseen stuff. I kept the house clean, but the yard went to pooey. My husband died, I didn't do a lot in the yard for quite a while and it showed. The yard looked like no one lived here. So I looked  landscaper up in the yellow pages in the phone book. The first one showed up with a truck 3 guys and a lot of power tools. I explained I needed the yard cleaned up and grass pulled and flower beds cleaned and weeds pulled. They left. I went to the yuppy garden store around the corner and they recommended "Wild Willy's" so I called. They had new red trucks and trailers. Three guys and three days later I could not see what they had done. He said I was the first person that had ever fired them. I ask how long they had been in business. He cut his invoice in half. I was ready to go to the high school or .... when I came home and found a sheet of paper on my door with a note telling me of a gardener a GARDENER. so I called, he called me back and came over the next morning. "we will clean up your yard, all the leaves and old dead plants. we will pull the grass in the flower beds, we will pull the weeds. In three days if you are not pleased you will not pay us and we will be gone. If we do good work we will be your gardener all summer. I had told him my tale of woe trying to find some one. So we agreed and he has been my gardener for 2 years.Mr Sandino Caro comes twice a month. I have watched his son grow and graduate high school, now he is married with a son. We have gotten rid of morning glory, what the farmers call bind weed. This year we are putting back in seeds I harvested that first year. His man Mr. Sanovio and I worked around each other as I saved seeds from Lark Spur, and Flax. We are ahead of the Iris beds and the grass is even under control. The Day Lilly's and the Roses look good.

This year Oscar has one flower bed ready for planting. Now I just have to get the seeds in the ground. I have them ready, with the Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper and Epsom Salt. Hope the pepper keeps the birds away until the seeds get started. I have lots of birds. They are used to coming for the sunflowers. We have Robins and Doves and Pigeons and Sea Gulls. Later I will see Canaries and Blue Jays. When I get them in the ground I will put garlic in the water for a while. I have read that drives every one away. It got rid of a cat a year ago.

In my next gardener story I will tell you about losing a fight with a rose bush and how that almost landed me in the hospital !











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!