Tuesday, April 29, 2014

another wonderful person

As I was writing the goofing off post I mentioned the lady who does my nails.

Meet Mariaelena. She is from central Mexico. She has been in this country for 40 years. She met her American husband when he was in the army and stationed near her home town. Her Father and Sister are Doctors and worked at the hospital where he worked. He had to work hard and do a lot of talking to get her family to agree to the marriage. She tells some funny stories of telling her Father she would run away. But her Father knew you can't run away with an army guy. They have 4 children all married and healthy and happy. They have lived in Salt Lake City and Utah for 20 years.

She trained as a cosmetologist in Mexico. Where she earned her license. She has worked in salons in the US. I met her when I walked in to a salon near my home and ask if they had any one who could do manicures on real nails. She was there and came out and we talked and I made an appointment with her. That was three years ago. We became fast friends. We are both very opinionated. We love good clothes and our family's. As we became friends I kidded her a bit about her English skills, they were lacking. How did you deal with your kids teachers in school ?? She admitted it was hard. She only did real nails. We talked about that. Acrylic and gels are all the rage.
You have to go to school. I'm to old. I would like to ... but .... reading all that English .... her daughter came in one day and we conspired to get her in school. Her daughter is a cosmetologist and works in a good salon. She has gone thru the school so she can help her Mom. It took some doing but she did it. Boy did Mariaelena work, and sweat and work and worry but after a few weeks..... the kids liked her and she was learning all kinds of things.
Like "you were right they gave me wooden sticks". She uses all metal tools. I brought orange wood sticks to use on my cuticles, because they are easier on the nail.  her English improved too.

 When I went to Cancun she told me all about the tipping and the resort etiquette. She is the reason I took more than one swimming suit, "they will not dry, and you do not want to wear a wet suit. Do not just wear a cover up, always change for lunch and dinner." She is a delight and I look forward to our time together. I tell her what is going on in my life and I hear about her trips to Mexico and California for weddings and birthdays. Since her schooling her business has increased and her confidence has improved. It is nice to see. I am lucky to have these wonderful people in my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!